‘Sophie the Giraffe’ Mold Scare Causes Moms To Go Frantic

Health
‘Sophie the Giraffe’ Mold Scare Causes Moms To Go Frantic PHOTOGRAPH: Sean Freese | Sophie the Giraffe (Sean Freese/FLICKR) with CC by (2.0, BY)

The internet world went abuzz lately when worried moms opened their kids’ Sophie the Giraffe and saw something terribly gross—molds. This after a dentist mom discovered molds building up inside her child’s teething toy. Sophie is a popular toy that mothers give to their toddlers who are developing their milk teeth.

Dana Chianese, a pediatric dentist and a mom told the Goodhousekeeping.com about her gross discovery. This happened when one day, she decided to clean her two toddler boys’ teething toys—Sophie the Giraffe. She said she noticed a foul odor coming form the inside of the toy, which drew her curiosity.

Molds Building Up

She decided to open the inside of the toy and to her surprise, she found slimy building up in it. It turned out that molds have been building up inside the same toy that her kids have been putting in their mouths every day. Unfortunately, as a pediatric dentist, she used to recommend teething toys, including Sophie the Giraffe to other kids too.

“I decided to cut into Sophie out of curiosity and discovered a science experiment living inside. Smelly, ugly mold living in my infant’s favorite chew toy!. It still hurts my heart to know that for months I allowed my babies to chew on moldy toys. I no longer buy any chew toys with a hole or recommend any to my patients,” Chianese told the GoodHousekeeping.

The Danger of Molds

Chianese was quick to add that she regularly cleans the toy as instructed in the manual. As it turned out, Chianese was not alone with her situation as many moms share her experience. But there some as well who had not found mold when they chopped off the toy.

Meanwhile, a report from the CDC revealed that molds, along with mushroom, mildews, and yeasts, are considered as fungi. It noted that many species of molds produce toxins under certain conditions. Once a person is exposed to molds or have ingested molds, it may cause some sorts of illnesses. Individuals with compromised immune system and allergies to molds are more prone to developing diseases.

Also Read: Nutella Cancer Scare: Chocolate Spread Can Be Removed from Italian Supermarkets