Eight Facts About The Infamous Area 51

Weird News
Eight Facts About The Infamous Area 51 PHOTOGRAPH: Wikimedia Commons/NASA | Under Public Domain Dedication

Area 51 continues to surround itself in secrecy. Some people theorize that the area is a secret government base where they test UFOs and aliens. There had been a lot of movies about the area, capturing the imaginations of the people. Conspiracy theories have made the place famous. The surrounding placed around Area 51 has become a popular tourist destination.

Here are eight facts about Area 51:

CIA recently acknowledged the existence of Area 51

– For years, the government denied the existence of Area 51. The George Washington University repeatedly requested freedom of information, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) gave in. On August 15, 2013, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) admitted that existence of the area.

– During Dwight Eisenhower’s presidency, the Groom Lake facility was under the CIA for Project Aquatone. The project serves as the development of Lockheed U-2 reconnaissance aircraft in April 1955.

– There was an increase of UFO sightings in 1952. At that time, the CIA made a conclusion that there is a possibility that might be an interplanetary aircraft, it was necessary to investigate such sightings. The experts easily debunked 90 percent of the sightings. The remaining 10 percent were reports coming from credible observers.

– The area has a nickname known as Dreamland. Allegedly, the nickname came from an Edgar Allan Poe poem sporting the same name. It reproves that, “the traveler, traveling through it, may not dare not openly view it; Never its mysteries are exposed, to the weak human eye unclosed.”

Area 51 and the surrounding places are off-limits to the public and media

– The first known use of Area 51 was the construction of an airfield for the West Coast Air Corps Training Center at Las Vegas Air Field in 1941. The public knew the airfield as Indian Springs Airfield Auxiliary No. 1, it consisted of two dirt 5000′ runways.

– The mysterious place and its surrounding grounds are strictly off-limits to the public. Due to the intense secrecy of the area, rumors abound on the possible activities inside. There have been some private drones maneuvering over the guarded skies of the area. This helped to produce pictures and videos from inside. Allegedly, some of the photos and videos were taken from the site, showing some spacecraft with futuristic designs. However, the government denies the claims.

– During the 70’s and 80’s, work orders exposed Area 51 workers to jet fuel toxins. The old computer parts burned in the trenches producing the toxins. Supposedly, the workers needed to go to the trenches to mix up the material. However, the authorities only allowed them to wear protection up to their waist.

– U-2 or manned reconnaissance flights accounted more than half of the UFO reports from the 50’s to the 60’s. Reports suggested that it virtually originated from Area 51.

Read also: Former Air Force Cadet Claims He Was Abducted by Aliens After Breaking Into Area 51