Dangerous Salt and Ice Viral Craze From 2012 is Now Sweeping UK

Europe
Dangerous Salt and Ice Viral Craze From 2012 is Now Sweeping UK PHOTOGRAPH: Pixabay/sutulo | Under Public Domain

The popular salt and ice challenge in 2012 has returned. It is now taking United Kingdom by storm. The craze resulted for local police to warn parents against their kids’ participation.

Salt And Ice Challenge: Frenzy In UK

In this particular challenge, children willingly burn themselves. Those who participate in it, put a mixture of ice and salt onto their skin. The exposure leads to a painful burning sensation. The ultimate challenge, however, is for the participants to withstand the pain as long as they can. Part of the challenge is to recorded and share videos on social media.

The challenge had resulted into second and third degree burns to some children who were lured to participate.  Dee Collins, West Yorkshire Police Chief Constable, was compelled to warn parents via Twitter. In the post, Collins called for parents to forbid their children from participating.

Apparently, participants are unaware of the dangers that the salt and ice challenge brings. Their skin are numbed initially because of the ice, according to a report from ITV. However, once numbness fades off it is too late for them to realize the repercussion.

The skin burns were quite similar to that of a frostbite. This is because mixing salt with ice gets the temperature down. It is lower than the regular freezing temperature for water. The salt and ice mixture could also result in temperatures reaching as low as −18 °F (−28 °C).

Salt And Ice Challenge: Authority’s Warning

“The rise of social media has contributed to increasing peer pressure amongst children,” said an NSPCC spokesperson. “This ‘craze’ is another clear example of the risks,” he added. NSPCC said that schools must also be vigilant to keep eyes against such activities.

The organization stated that parents must also help. “It is important for schools to keep a close eye on all emerging trends and we also welcome the warning from parents,” said the spokesperson.